It’s your fav girl and today we are talking about Solo Travel. Now, I know summer is approaching and with all of my wonderful posts you are probably thinking of going on an adventure yourself right? Well you should be.
It’s one thing to travel, but it takes courage to travel solo. Which is why today I will be writing on this topic. How frustrating is that feeling when you take your time, find the perfect picture spot in your favorite dress, but there is no body to take you that killer photo? Haha!
I mean do you know that feeling when you try to approach a passerby asking for a photo and they give you the ‘talk to the hand’ or ‘sorry I am in a hurry’ reply? What is even worse is when you finally get someone to take the photo and they just take you a rubbish picture. Try some unhappy tourists, then you will understand my plight. Once a Chinese tourist took photos of a building with just half of me showing in the pic 😂. I did not even know how to react. I simply said thank you and waited another 10-15mins for my messiah.
The Solo Travel Reality
Okay let’s leave the photo part. How about when you visit those fairytale cities, where you are literally the only one walking on the most beautiful street you’ve ever seen? Even the birds in the air seem to all be paired up. You see the couples breathing love in the air, families bonding together and friends catching up. And there you are struggling to understand what brought you to this city in the first place…Haha.
…Anyway, from the dangers of insecurities to the sense of loneliness and boredom, for some people solo travelling is something they can never handle. But today I bring you the essentials and indispensables you need. I’m talking travel applications, tips, advices and strategies to make a successful Solo trip. With these, you can boldly take a trip to any surface of the earth without an iota of fear.
Before going Solo…
1. Make that decision – Solo travelling must be an intentional decision. You need to get into the right frame of mind for it and be prepared to carry yourself as a citizen of the world. The truth is travelling alone begins in your mind before you even figure out a destination to visit.
2. Choose the perfect destination – For several reasons your favorite place in the world may not necessarily be the place you want to tour alone. The hack is finding a city you truly want to explore. Possibly a neighbouring city for a start. A weekend getaway is the best way to kick off your first solo trip.
3. SAVE for your trip – Being broke on a vacation is hard. Being broke while solo travelling is horrible! Always research and ask questions. Be sure to know exactly how much everything will cost from intercity transportation to lodging, tourist attractions, exchange rates and most importantly food 😃. All in all, please still hold your ‘vex money’ lol (as Nigerians will call money for miscellaneous)
4. SAFETY 101 – Inform at least one close family member or friend. This is very important for your safety as it is inappropriate to just bag pack without informing anyone of your destination.
5. Pack lightly and make a smashing Playlist– Once these steps are complete pack your bags ensuring you pack only what is necessary and comfortable. A few comfy clothes/shoes, a heel or two for the wild nights, not forgetting essentials like a charging bank, the right adapter, selfie sticks/drone camera, a sustainable water bottle and your ID’s.
During the Solo Travel- The Indispensables!
*APPY Life– Did you know there’s an app for almost everything? There is even an app to rent a Family or Friends in Japan. I intend to try it when I land Tokyo lol. Well, I know that setting off into the world is always a little intimidating, but as ever, technology is here to help. From helping connect with like-minded travellers, to staying safe and tracking down unique local experiences, here are some of the best free apps for solo travellers available for Android and iPhone IOS .
- Solo Traveller – To meet up with fellow solo traveler.
- RedZone – Shows you what areas to avoid and tracks incidents.
- Backpackr – Shows you travellers headed your destination.
- ICE – In Case of Emergency.
- Eat With– To linkup and eat with likeminded people.
- MeetUp – For meeting locals and experiencing the culture.
- Tourlina – Exclusively for female travellers to find a travel companion.
- Bumble – Using your social networks, the app will connect you with friends of your friends in any area.
- Google Translate – Translations.
- Peek – For tours and activities.
- Some helpful OFFLINE apps- XE Currency, Free Wifi Finder, Triposo, Google maps and TripIt
*Blend In– Having all these apps can be amazing. But, on your end, you should always try to blend in and be involved. They say you only live once, and this might be your last time visiting this particular place, so why not make the trip a memorable one? On that note, don’t be afraid to try new but SAFE things like; a bumble date, an evening exploring with back packers or just a random afternoon cooking class with a local…Major Hint– I use some dating apps to get free dinner dates from guys and delete their numbers afterwards Haha. Ladies don’t be shy to try this lol
For introverts, this can be a great opportunity to enjoy your own company. You can take on new adventures on each trip to challenge yourself. With these apps you can also find interesting solo activities to keep you busy if meeting people or socializing is not your cup of tea
In conclusion, Solo trips are my favorites, as everything is done at my own time and pace. As we reach the peak of the summer I urge you to plan a solo trip if you never have. And please while at that always stay security conscious. For inspirations on where to start i recommend Mallorca, Bordeaux or Riomaggiore.